Friday, October 28, 2005

Links

Don't forget: CLOCKS GO BACK AN HOUR THIS WEEKEND!

Yup, it's that time of the year when we all scramble for our clocks and remove the hour that summer gave us.
Not that I object to handling clocks twice a year, but even so, the tradition goes back so far that, heck, it's not worth fighting/arguing over. It's something that has to be done - and done it will be.
It seems a strange thing to be doing, but at least it means the mornings will be lighter and the evenings a bit darker - and thats nice, I somehow like the cosiness that an evening brings in winter, but I yearn for the long summer evenings where I can take evening strolls and watch the sun setting. Winter will become the time for afternoon strolls and watching the sun setting in a different way. There's something mystical about watching our largest star in winter that in the summer, doesn't feel the same. There's a certain mysticism in winter that summer can't match. The sunsets look more fiery, the sky goes some incredible shades of red and clouds... echoing the colours of the sun and managing to look doubly superb. Coupled with the changing of the leaves on the trees from green to shades of reds and yellows and browns in one of mother natures messiest of displays. I know it's all down to clorophyl and all that... but hey, can't knock it! It just looks superb when the leaves start turning.
Or you could be where I am. Yellowing leaves cos, going red isn't the done thing... fallen brown leaves all over the floor, blown by the wind into your face as you try to go about your business....made slippy by the rain, thrown by kids as you walk past... erm.. yeah.. give me that - and give me the council gardeners, armed to the teeth with leaf blowers... my sanity needs preserving.
One other good thing - the wildlife, and with that, the squirrel. The lone solitary grey standing in the middle of the garden at the back, staring directly back at me through the kitchen window, it's big black glassy eyes staring at me with the sort of intent squirrels look at people at, the sort of stare thats hideously cute tinged with a hint of madness thats greater than the size of the animal.
I won't go into detail, but me and that squirrel have issues. And one day, these will be resolved.. either for the better or for the worse.
Ok, so I've gone on a little bit... purely unintentional.. really.
My suggested reading for this weekend is *HERE* and I'm surprised to find out that British Summer Time in 1968, didn't finish until 1971!
So don't forget the clocks this weekend.... that is, if you're reading this and you're in one of those places affected by the hour thing.

Sundays Audio Coffee goes out at it's usual time. Halloween edition this week, plus the entries in the Coffee Cup Challenge.

Audio Coffee:
7am EST
12 noon in the UK
1pm across most of Europe

Novembers Coffee Cup Challenge will be posted here over the weekend.