Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Links

Grrr.... if it's not one thing, it's something else...

...and I'm not a happy bunny at the moment.
As if I havent suffered enough already, I mean, two weeks of a bad back, now it's almost bloody certain that my next two shows will mostly comprise of my affliction of having another cold.
Thats meant in total this year is that I've now had three colds , one injured knee, bad back pain for at least a month and ok, not really an illness, but certainly, a rather bloody and awkwardly located blister on my left heel.
Ah yes, I've had the puffy ankles - I'm sorta used to that thing now, had it long enough to know what to do and when.
My poor elderly computer has been having its own problems too. That can be cured by reinstalling the OS after I've formatted the sucker. I've so far spent the week committing stuff I can save to cd for when the computer is back to rights.
I have had far too many problems with it over the last few weeks that it has taken my attention away from other things. Once it's all successfully reinstalled, it'll be sweet to use - and feel fast (one thing it sure as hell isn't at the moment).
And playing Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 will probably feel a lot better too... as will a lot of other stuff thats essential to my day to day being.
I generally use a lot of open source programs - these will be heading back to the hard drive because being without them is something I'd rather not be.
Progs:

Stoik:

Image capturing: (webcam stuff) nice and quick to use, surprisingly a decent emergency to have running.
Film convertion software: Best thing I ever downloaded. It converts wmv to avi and a couple of other formats. I like it because it does it's job.

Gr8 player:

More recent addition to my pc. This player plays the files that windows media player craps on. I recently downloaded a film of a game on a website and when WMP played it, it greenscreened and refused to play the film and left me with just the audio - I got Gr8 player to run the file and it did - so sweetly, it was the deciding factor in my keeping it. You can play a wide variety of media on it - mp3's are fun, you can speed them up and slow them down and I'm impressed at the clarity at which it does it without making everything sound choppy or over/under compressed.

FOOBAR2000:

Wow.. this prog has never failed yet to impress me. I can't believe this prog is as good as it is and it's FREE!!! It's perfect for listening to audiostreams on the internet and the goodies its packed with are a godsend! The wide stereo feature is simply the best I've heard (for my pc and speakers anyway!)and I love the fact that buffering problems I've had with winamp and WMP are non-existent with this amazing piece of software (which I have to say, doesn't need the fixes that some players get on an all too frequent basis). I've used it off and on over the last four years and it's never ever let me down. It just does the job it's asked. So what if it doesn't support video? I didn't want it to play video............!!!

Winamp:

Did I really just mention this after praising FOOBAR2000?! ok, so I did. I only have it cos I get stupid people ask me 'you use winamp, don't you?'.... I say yes, and I mean yes and then I kick open FOOBAR and it's good to see other peoples reactions when their servers pick up something else... Winamp is good for it's visuals thing, nothing more. I wouldn't pee on it if it was on fire really, but it's there. It's like not being a tea drinker but having teabags in just in case someone who drinks tea visits.. that sort of thing. Actually, I use it for editing stuff. There's something about winamp I like when it comes to assissting my music production and keeping the damned thing away from the internet that I like. Yes, I know you can't record stuff through winamp, it's just a playing tool while I use another prog and record off the soundcard... (hit record in editing software, hit play on winamp, record on editing software, stop winamp... edit... happy...)

VirtualDub:
Great little prog thats a godsend for .avi file editing
Anvil Studio:
Just because... and it's good...

The Dee Sampler:

best.drum.prog.EVER

Antivirus software: AVG

Firewall: ZoneAlarm

Adware and Spyware tools: Spybot


Plus a few puzzle games...

But once everything has been sorted out, I can work on some halloween promos for Sundays show.
I can do it. I've done it before. I surprise myself at how quickly I can work when the mood takes me.

Please feel free to follow and use the links provided in todays post for your own personal use.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating and later on, I shall be chewing around this page for my computers needs and burping in satisfaction for my computers benefit.
Lengthy post, I know.. some people require explanations and thats whats there. If you don't like it, don't complain to me. I know what my computer likes and what it will run. All I've done is provide links to content and programs that if you don't run them already, you might want to give them at least a try before you say ANYTHING about them. Whether you like them or not, these programs are going to be on the internet regardless. All I have done is link to them. I'm not paid to link to them, I have linked to them because sometimes, the better software out there isn't necessarily always the software that you have to PAY for...
Just because it's got a fancy logo.. just because something has a glamorous look... it doesn't mean that its any good. To me, fancy stuff means 'I look good but don't do much' and plain stuff says 'bring it on...!!!!!'
Think about it people.. what are you using that you pay money for that you can download for free on the internet and it *DOES* the job?
I could go on, but I won't. I want to give you food for thought. How much do you know about computers? How much do you know about the internet?
Less than you think............................... and thats the honest truth.
Now shut up whining and pass me my windoze repair kit... I have a computer to fix.