Saturday, October 15, 2005

Links

Back to the er.... back.... ouch

Sometimes, I can go for weeks, sometimes months without incident. I'm usually damned proud when I can go any length of time without rendering some part of my body as 'injured'. So I think I can put 2005 down as 'the year my body popped and forgot to pop back again'. Hello to the long standing knee injury and a big welcome to the back pain I am now suffering.
Saying that, the show this week will go on regardless.. yes, yours truly here is just too goddamned stubborn to take a health break and get this thing sorted out. Well, it's more a brain and hand-eye co-ordination thing than a 'running about like a maniac' thing - except when I need the inevitable comfort break... besides, I've had this back problem for more years than I want to mention, its just that sometimes, I know I have had much better days than this.
I know it all started when I fell out of bed when I was aged of the single digits and right now, every day feels like I fell out of bed.
So by adding an injury on top of another slightly older injury thats an aggrevated older injury, at the moment, I'm hardly fun to be around.
But excercise does help.
I'm not the sort to retreat off to bed for days on end *because*. I'm a believer in carrying on until there's such a time as it's impossible to carry on. I did start the Ampcasthon earlier this year with a somewhat freshly injured knee, I've done a show with a fully developed cold and a chest infection - this is no different.
By keeping myself as distracted as possible, I generally find I can deal with any pain much better than letting a couple of painkillers decide.
Painkillers are fine in theory - for minor aches and pains, sure.. they'll deal with that. When you have the sort of pain that won't go by taking painkillers, then in MY opinion, the best form of action is to deal with it another way, usually by excercise and just slowing down enough to give the affected area some chance.
I only give a pain so long before I'm off to the doctors with it - and THEN I'll probably get something for the pain.
The only thing is, at the moment, all my efforts are only going so far. I think by Monday, I'll be crawling off to the doctors surgery and making myself an appointment.
(There isn't much one can do of a weekend around here, being ill Monday to Friday is ok though... just don't be sick over the weekend - the nearest emergency doctors is four miles away and it's NOT easy to get to.)
So for now, I'll put up and shut up. I'm liable to moan and get cranky, be bolshy and tell people what I think about them. I'm slightly unpredictable when I'm like this and please don't read into this and take it at face value or misinterpret whats here.
*I* know *me* better.

Today is October 15th, the day that licenced shops can sell fireworks to OVER 18's. Sales of fireworks will end at close of trading day on the 5th November.
During that three weeks, anyone caught misusing fireworks or are under the age of 18 will be cautioned, fined and have anything that might cause an offence confiscated. You will only be allowed to use fireworks between 7am and 11pm.
I'm not entirely clear on all the facts, so don't quote me. But today is the start of a jittery three weeks for me.
New ceiling please, new nerves and possibly.. new heart...
sedatives don't work, I fight them and end up 10 times worse. No, I'll be out with the cameras doing stuff to try and shake this irrational fear.


SHOW AS NORMAL TOMORROW.

*COFFEE CUP CHALLENGE*

There's only 2 weeks left for submissions. *remember* Include 2 household appliances into a 3 minute track.